Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 3 Mayans and Monkey Bay and Belize Zoo, Oh MY






Hi again,

Hard to beat yesterdays events, but today was jam packed with good things. After a night of great excitement, we left our mountain home and moved to our next destination. We went to the ancient city of Xunantunich. The buildings of the city were huge and had interesting carvings. Unfortunately these buildings have eroded over time and most of the carvings have disappeared. But we could still climb to the top of the largest building and at the top you would not believe the view. You could see mountains in Guatemala and the entire ancient city. After climbing down over more than 100 steep steps, ( yes I was counting them), we walked to a restaurant owned and run by modern day Mayans. They had prepared a special meal for us all and boy was it delicious.

After lunch we hopped back into our bus, and move on to Saint Matthews School. We met a lot of cool kids and played a game of Belize football, which turned into a great game of American football. :) We stayed to play until the school day was over and then headed on to our new home for four days, Monkey Bay Sanctuary. Yep we heard the Howler Monkey all right. They sound so strange as if you are listening to dinosaurs, it's cool.


Monkey Bay is a great place to stay at. They have all a person needs like good hot food, cold showers, and cool beds. It's heaven on earth.

Kyle Spotts

2 comments:

  1. Kyle,

    What a great post-- I so enjoy reading your writing. You have no idea how
    sad I am that I am not experiencing this wonderful trip with all of you, and
    at the same time, how happy I am that you are doing what you're doing. One
    of my favorite books of my WHOLE lifetime is Jaguar, written about a man who
    tracks jaguars in Belize. And now you guys are there and seeing prints. (I
    didn't really believe your story about being chased by jaguars.)

    Please keep posting--but only if spending time at a computer doesn't take
    you away from real life. Sounds like there is a lot of real life in front
    of you each and every moment.

    All my best,

    Ms. Cathé

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle, I don't know why (yes I do) but I can't help wondering: do you type as fast as you talk? ;) (I type like a French snail - that's because I'm French)

    It is simply a thrill to read your posts. Thank you guys for sharing pieces and slices of your oh-so-wow journey peppered by (yeah I'm such a poet) so many extra-ordinary stories and...fables. Like we were going to believe that you were boating on a river full of crocodiles (Victor), got chased by leopards (jaguars, ferraris whatever) and eating each other to survive...(Maddi and Maddie)...Ahhhh...youngsters, nowadays...no more respect, what can you do...
    I Can't wait to see the real pictures/ videos? and hear you guys live - tarantulas, jaguars and crocs permitting of course.
    And how about a lil' debate about climate change for when you come back eh? yes yes yes!
    No seriously (debate serious)I hope you realize how unusually lucky you are. Life-time (sometimes life changing) memories you're packing back. Please don't feel obligated to bring back exotic bugs or such as souvenirs. Thanks.

    ps: Amy wants to know if you've lost Stephanie in the rain forest in which case you need to start searching.

    Noemie

    ReplyDelete